Someone once told me the best way to have a boat is to have a friend that has a boat. Same thing for pools! Kids today can have a blast in the backyard just like we did with just a few things from around the house and they will be golden for hours with these amazingly fun and simple water games. No pool required. Don’t forget the sunscreen and to keep your little darlings hydrated!
8 Water Games
- Pouring Station: Fill a large plastic bin with water add measuring cups and spoons. Encourage your children to fill and pour the water in the cups with the spoons. Toddlers love this game, but it is not a free pass for mommy and daddy. Please, supervise this activity. Check out Busy Toddler for a nice writeup about it.
- Water Balloon Toss: Fill ‘um up and toss. You can even hang them from trees like pinatas. Your backyard will be filled with the screams of children’s laughter and there is nothing more delicious in the whole world! Well, maybe Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia.
- DIY Waterslide: If you don’t have a Slip n Slide handy you can certainly make one very easily. Check out this super easy to do version at Happy Holligans.
- Water Walls: This reminds me of the game Mouse Trap. Attach a series of tubes and open container to a wall with tape in such a way water flows from one to the next. For a complete guide to water walls check out ourwhimiscaldays.com
- Sprinkler Play: Turn it on and instant fun.
- Car Wash: You can make this as elaborate as you want, but a bucket, sponge and a hose will do the trick.
- Paint the Fence: Fill a small bucket with water and assorted paint brushes. Paint the sidewalk, paint the outdoor walls and anything else that will change color. Your kids will love it because they really are painting another color. Hey, Huck Finn painting the fence just the same way!
- Wash the Baby: Fill a bin with a small amount of water. Use small sponges to wash the baby dolls. Little girls and boys both love this activity.
Did we miss any? What water games do you play with your kids? Let us know!