Yay, summer is finally here! Hot, humid, smothering days, bored children and constant snacks and meals to prepare. But I have a great idea. Let’s dump the kids at the pool! Bonus: totally knocks them out afterwards! Sounds like fun and a no brainer. And while this is a great and fun summer tip, you really must be prepared before you start your kids swimming. Water safety for your kids should be numero uno on your list. According to the CDC unintentional drowning is the number one cause of injury or death for children age 1-4. Make sure you’re in the clear by following our tips below.
Prepping to Get Your Kids Swimming
- Don’t wait until you get to the pool to put on your kids bathing suits. Getting your kids prepped for swimming beforehand cuts down on the tantrums.
- Please no stinky diapers. And please make sure your preschooler has one on if they are not potty trained.
- Slap that sunscreen all over, but slow down. Make sure not to put any on near the eyes.
- Prepare an ouch kit just in case big brother pushes sister down.
- Pack water and snacks.
- Pack towels and swim shoes.
Water Safety for Kids
- Your goals should be to teach your child how to swim.
- If your child is not a really good swimmer, you need to be in the pool with them. This is my personal rule, call it over protective, I don’t care.
- You should be within arms reach of your child at all times.
- If your child is under (age) they should be wearing a flotation device.
- You should not be distracted by any other activities. Put the damn cell phone under a towel please.
- Know CPR.
- Talk to your child about the pool rules.
- Remove any toys from the pool after swimming
A good thing to check out is the pool itself. It’s important that whatever pool you’re using be it yours, a friends, camp or school, has some basic pool safety mechanisms in place. Lean in! Ask questions. This is your child’s safety we’re talking about. Below are the bare minimums you should be looking for, but for an extended list check out this article that we really like over at Pool Gear.
Layers of Pool Safety
- Pool fences
- Pool alarms
- Blue Safety Turtle wristband
- Door alarms
Have fun this summer, enjoy the pool, but please, please pay attention to your kids swimming! Do you have any tips to share when taking your kids swimming? Sound off in the comments.